A Tummy Full of Healthy Food
Did you know that children can absorb more lead if they don’t have a tummy full of healthy food?
7 times more!
A tummy full of healthy food includes Iron, Vitamin C, Calcium and Dietary
Fibre. These, and other important nutrients, play a role in growing and maintaining a strong and healthy body and, importantly, they work to help
reduce our body’s absorption of Lead.
Try adding these foods to your regular shopping list so healthy foods are always on hand for snacks and mealtimes.
CALCIUM-RICH FOODS INCLUDE:
– Milk and milk products, such as yogurt and cheese
– Green leafy vegetables, including broccoli, kale, spinach, wombok cabbage
– Calcium-fortified foods such as soymilk and tofu
– Canned tuna, salmon, sardines and mackerel
– Almonds, walnuts, chia seeds
TRY THESE IRON-RICH FOODS:
– Lean red meats
– Iron-fortified cereal, bread and pasta
– Dried fruit, such as raisins and prunes
– Kidney beans, chickpeas, and lentils
VITAMIN C FOODS INCLUDE:
– Citrus fruits, such as oranges and grapefruit
– Other fruits such as kiwi, strawberries and melon
– Tomatoes, potatoes, capsicum, cauliflower, brussel sprouts
HIGH FIBRE FOODS INCLUDE:
– Vegetables, fresh and canned fruit (not fruit juice)
– Wholegrain breads and breakfast cereals
(muesli, porridge, wheat biscuits), brown rice and wholemeal pasta
– Eat edible skins on fruit and vegetables, where appropriate AFTER WASHING.
– Beans and peas, nuts and seeds.